Saturday, December 31, 2016


I am reflecting on my life as I end the year, and look into the next.  These are things I would ask each of you if we sat down and had a conversation...  Feel free to share your thoughts so we can learn about each other.

What was your biggest challenge in 2016?  Health issues

What is your favorite way(s) to spend free time?
Traveling to new places, seeing new things,  being creative, spending time with family, gardening

Do you / did you ever have a nickname?  My and Myrna

What do you consider to be a personal strength?  creative thinker

What makes you laugh?  America's funniest home videos - 

Do you have a pet peeve?  If yes, what?
People who will only drive in the left lane.

Did you travel somewhere new in 2016, or learn something new?  No

Tell me something about you that I don’t already know.  I have seven birthmarks

Do you consider yourself an optimist or pessimist?
Overall optomist with moments of pessimisticity.

Who do you admire? Why?  My grandmother and mother.  They were tough women who worked hard and are very missed.

Do you believe in angels?   Yep

Do you have a goal for the coming year?  If yes, what?  Lose weight, eat less carbs, be more productive at home, be a better housekeeper.

What makes you happy?  Spending time with people who bring out the best in me, feeling like I make a difference in someone's life, being productive, creative and seeing the world's wonders.

If you could be reincarnated, what characteristics would you wish for?
I would like to be taller, thinner, wavy red hair, freckles with dancing eyes.

Do you learn best from observing, reading instructions, or hands on?  Hands on.

Do you feel lost without your cell phone? Absolutely.

Do you smile at strangers?  Most of the time, and I try to say hello.

If you could have a super power what would it be?  to fly

If you had one year to live, and unlimited money, what would you do during that time.  Travel the world with my family and experience as much as possible.

Do you have a bucket list?  A couple

What things can you name that have changed in your lifetime?  What hasn't?  The list is long...

What goal(s) do you have for the next five years?  Downsize, move somewhere smaller, travel to the USNW, successfully start a new career, enjoy my grandkids, become a better person.

What do you wish you were brave enough to do?  Be a gypsy and travel the world.  

What is/are your favorite food(s)? tomatoes, cucumbers, oranges, Popcorn, seafood, 

Mountains or ocean?  Mountains

Describe what you think would be the perfect place to live?  Beautiful mountain view on one side, and ocean on the other.

Big city or country?  Country

Are you capable of being a survivalist if needed?  I think so.

Saturday, October 22, 2016

Folk art wood pumpkin

I saw a fabric pumpkin felt project a few years ago that inspire me to design a similar wood pumpkin.

I started with a scrap 1" x 12" board.  Once I had a drawing I liked, I traced it out of a file folder so it would be stiff enough for me to trace onto wood.

I originally made this a couple of years ago, but it needed repainted.  I decided my pumpkin needed a new look.  So I started by painting the main body orange.  The stem was brown previously so I left as is for now.

You can see in this pic that it originally had a scrap wood nose, and I had originally painted on white eyes and mouth.  This time I wanted to add more dimension with some type of eyes.  I decided on round wood drawer pulls but I didn't like them as is.  I ended up cutting the back off so they sat closer to the pumpkin.  I glued them on and I like the dimension they give my project.

I used five colors on my pumpkin.  Orange, brown, green, white and yellow.  Now, I am by NO means a painter, so I looked on pinterest and the internet for paintings of pumpkins to get some ideas on how to paint it.  This is how I did mine.

At this point I wasn't sure I had made the right choice, the brown, white and green seemed so bright and now what I was thinking.  But as I blended more, added yellow and softened everything up it started looking better.  I blended the nose in and added the eyes.

Here is my finished pumpkin.  I personally adore it.  I blended colors into the stem also, to create depth,  I like his heady little eyes, his nose, everything.  There isn't anything perfect about it, but I admire imperfection, so it's perfect for me.

I hope you'll leave a note if my pumpkin inspires you to create something fun.  

Have fun and be creative!


Painted pine cone flower wreath

Fall Pinecone Wreath

I made a pinecone flower wreath a couple of weeks ago.  I used various size and type of pinecones, acorns, moss, flower seed pods, and some old poppy seed cones I had left over from another project.  I cut the large pine cones to resemble flowers and painted them with fall colors.

I painted some solid colors, some with different color centers, and some I trimmed with paint to make them pop.  I added in a few small blue accents just to add some pop.

I love the colors and I love the end result.

Here it is hanging on our kitchen door.  I think it's simple but perfect for our old house and door.

If this inspires you to make one please let me know.