Thursday, September 25, 2014

Shutter Angel

Here is a garden angel that I have enjoyed in my garden this year.  She is was out of an old window shutter, a brass candle bowl, wings made from pieces of an old barrel, and rebar for legs.

I laid my shutter on my workbench and started laying different boards, spindles etc. behind it for wings.  I originally made this to display at an Eco Fest last fall.  So, it needed to be made entirely of recycled objects.  That's right up my alley!!!

I had a window shutter about 36" tall.  I decided to use boards from an old barrel for the wings.  I love the rough texture and curve of these pieces.  I used the adjustment pieces of wood that came with the shutter as arms.  I decided on the angel I wanted and cut the top to fit the shutter.  I then cut them to the length I wanted the arms.  They were as long as the shutter and I don't know about you, but my arms aren't as long as my body.


I added a brass candle bowl for a head and rebar for legs so the shutter doesn't sit on the ground and wick moisture.

Here's the finished angel when I added it to my garden in early spring.

The rebar legs allow me to push it close to the ground but not touching the ground.

Here it is amid my hosta.

It's outside my kitchen door by the cornzebo where I see it every day.  I have enjoyed it this summer. 

If this project inspires you to create something similar please let me know.  And if you need more info I'll be glad to share more details on how I made it.

Myra



No comments: