Monday, September 26, 2011

Refurbished drawer display cabinet, dragonfly sculpture, and gathering nature

My oldest daughter Angie, my granddaughter Kaylee and I went in search of nature over the weekend.
We harvested some wild bittersweet along a fence row.  We just had to wade the weeds to get to it.
Next we ventured to the local cemetery to gather buckeyes and acorns.  The squirrels had beat us to most of the acorns, but we gathered some of the hairy caps. Then Kaylee and I gathered some tiny pine cones from beneath my black forest spruce tree.  But it can't be all work and no play.  Kaylee needed to go swing in the back yard for awhile.

I also made a very delicate dragonfly sculpture.  This dragonfly is much smaller than most I make.  It's wings are made of a strip of brass flashing off an old door. One wing even has a nail hole in it from where it was fastened to the door. The side of the brass exposed to the weather has a beautiful patina. It sits atop a steel rod, inserted into an a piece of antique walnut.



And I painted this old drawer to convert it into a display shelf.  It can stand or hang.



Other than this hubby and I took a short trip on the motorcycles to get an ice cream cone, we did a little tinkering in the garage, but mostly I was lazy.

I hope you found something fun to do with your weekend. 

7 comments:

Lil Raggedy Angie said...

Love it !

Rachel said...

I love your new cabinet~very prim! I'll have to come over & you can show me how you did it! :O) I bet the dragonfly is super cute too!

TheCrankyCrow said...

I LOVE your new dragonfly...how perfectly precious!! It almost looks real! You sure do have a way with dragonflies!! And I love your new drawer display! AWESOME! Wish I had that kind of vision - and capability!! Didn't know bittersweet grew wild...hmmmm - don't think I've ever seen it around here - but then again, you can't even find it in markets or stores in these parts! Right now, I'm bittersweetless!! Hope you're having a great day! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Carmen and the Primcats said...

Hi Myra! Lovely bittersweet!

Love the dragon fly... and Love mine!!! THank you so much for it! If it ever stops raining I'll find it a place in the garden!

Love the drawer redo!

Carmen and the Primcats

Karen said...

So fun seeing your harvest of bittersweet and reading about the acorn and little cones you also gathered. Can't wait to see what you do with them. The dragonfly is really adorable, love the way the wings look. I wish I had the talent you have to give these objects new life.

So good to hear from you, I'm sewing something for the reunion, but it's not going to be a fantastic garment, by any means. Back to my sewing machine!

Lona said...

How pretty the drawer turned out. You do such wonderful redo's. It is going to make a wonderful display case.

Jennifer said...

Love your dragonflies! How fun it is to repurpose found objects! :)